At St Luke’s we follow in the footsteps of Jesus as we live, love and learn together.
Through the curriculum, we aim to enable every pupil to participate fully within our school, local and wider communities as responsible, self-confident citizens. We actively promote the spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical qualities of all pupils.
- Our pupils benefit from the care, support and stability the whole school community gives them, so they are secure in their school environment and succeed in a variety of learning experiences.
- In Nursery and Reception we follow the EYFS areas of learning.
- Our KS 1 & 2 curriculum is built on the National Curriculum Programmes of Study.
- Our curriculum provides pupils with the essential knowledge that they need to be educated and intelligent citizens.
- We are ambitious for all pupils including disadvantaged and SEND, irrespective of background or ability and believe they all have an entitlement to receive a broad and balanced curriculum, so that each pupil can fulfil their potential in all areas of the curriculum.
- Reading is an essential skill for accessing the school’s curriculum and for lifelong learning. Reading is given a very high priority throughout the school for each pupil.
- We provide children with a wide range of vocabulary as research shows this to be the biggest barrier to disadvantaged children in achieving. We aim to address social disadvantage by placing vocabulary at the heart of our curriculum.
- Our curriculum allows all children to become confident and fluent with an extensive range of powerful vocabulary.
- Our curriculum takes into account current research into the knowledge based curriculum and cognitive learning.
- We provide a wealth of experiences so pupils can build upon a sequenced knowledge based curriculum, enabling them to grow and develop personally and academically as they reach defined end points.
- We ensure that all children gain a wealth of experiences beyond learning facts in the classroom. Our curriculum will inspire children to want to learn more and provoke children’s intellectual curiosity.
- St Luke’s curriculum will lead to our pupils achieving well at secondary school and beyond, followed by further study or in the world of work. It will enable them to become well informed, responsible and cultured citizens who will make a positive contribution to their communities in the future.
- We want our children to harness a love of learning and to have access to knowledge of the world, in order to enable them to take responsibility to sustain and care for it.
If you require any further information about the curriculum then please contact the Head Teacher on 0151 477 8580.